Home :: Oxazepam
Oxazepam Medication - Uses & Side Effects
Generic Name: Oxazepam
Oxazepam is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. Oxazepam medicine treat the anxiety by affecting chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced or may cause anxiety.
Oxazepam belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines. It acts on receptors in the brain (GABA receptors) causing the release of a chemical called GABA (gamma amino butyric acid). GABA is a major inhibitory chemical in the brain that may cause sleepiness and control of anxiety and fits. Oxazepam acts by increasing the activity of GABA, thereby reducing the functioning of certain areas of the brain. This results in a decrease in anxiety, sleepiness and relaxation of muscles.
- You should take the dosage 10 to 15 milligrams 3 or 4 times per day.
- Mostly starting dose is 10 milligrams, 3 times a day. Your doctor can increase your dosage from 10 to 15 milligrams 3 or 4 times a day, as you needed.
Uses of Oxazepam
- Oxazepam medicine is used to relieve anxiety.
- It also is used to control agitation caused by alcohol withdrawal.
- Oxazepam is also used to treat irritable bowel syndrome.
Side Effects of Oxazepam
Before taking Oxazepam medicine, discuss to your doctor about the possible side effects of Oxazepam. Side effects may include:
- Addiction to the medicine (dependence)
- Muscle weakness
- Loss of memory (amnesia)
- Drowsiness and lightheadedness the next day
- Shaky movements and unsteady walk (ataxia)
- Unexpected increase in aggression (paradoxical aggression).
Warnings and precautions before taking Oxazepam:
- You should not take the Serax medicine if you have narrow-angle glaucoma, Because this medication may worsen your condition.
- Before taking Serax (oxazepam) medicine, tell your doctor if youhave kidney disease, liver disease, asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, or other respiratory disease, are depressed or have suidical thoughts.
- If you are taking Oxazepam, this medicine can cause dizziness or drowsiness or some sleepy.
- Do not increase your dose of this medicine without first talking to your doctor.
- Do not used Oxazepam if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
Drug Interaction :-
Before taking any other drugs with Oxazepam medicine, contact with your docotr. Because it may increased, decreased or altered the effects of Oxazepam medicine. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining oxazepam with the following:
- Antihistamines such as Benadryl
- Narcotic painkillers such as Percocet and Demerol.
- Incidentally, Percocet can be very addictive when abused, which is why there are centers for percocet treatment in place to help those hooked on the narcotic pain reliever.
- Sedatives such as Seconal and Halcion
- Tranquilizers such as Valium and Xanax
After taking Oxazepam medicine if you feel the overdose is suspect, contact with your doctor immediately. Symptoms of an oxazepam overdose include:
- a slow heart beat
- difficulty breathing
- difficulty walking and talking
- an appearance of being drunk